(757) 283-7850 x.10526
Visit us on Facebook
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, A/V Tech, & Communications
- Business, Management, Administration
- Education & Training
- Government & Public Administration
- Health Science
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Human Services
- Information Technology, Modeling/Simulation, Gaming
- Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
Connecting with the Business Community
- Identify specific student learning and achievement needs that will be addressed through the partnership.
- Identify potential business partners with expertise in specific areas of need.
- Conduct research about the potential partner to identify how the partnership can benefit both parties
- Reach out to the potential partner and schedule a meeting to discuss mutual needs and benefits
- Collect materials about school needs and desired outcomes of the partnership to share at the meeting
- Secure the support and commitment at the school and business
- Establish buy-in and formalize the partnership with a Agreement of Partnership
- Work with the partner to establish a clear mission
- Set goals that are S.M.A.R.T.—Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely
- Maintain clear and open communication in both directions
- Monitor and evaluate progress
- Analyze data and make changes as needed
7 Strategies for School-Business Partnerships
- Ensure student learning and achievement are the focus of every partnership.
- Develop a well-defined and well-managed program that supports school-based partnerships.
- Make strategic matches between schools and businesses that advance a school’s improvement goals.
- Set clear expectations for schools and businesses.
- Provide training for school staff and business employees.
- Create a meaningful process for communicating about the program and recognizing the contributions of business partners.
- Regularly monitor and evaluate each partnership and the overall program.
The Daniels Fund is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a world where every individual has an equal opportunity to live a healthy, productive life. In 2005, the Daniels Fund conducted extensive research to learn why some school-business partnerships are more effective than others. Explore findings, tips, successful strategies and tools at danielsfund.org.
Our Business Partnerships
A partnership exists when a school and a business formally agree to work together on projects and activities that enhance the quality of education, while developing essential career readiness skills.