Greta Foster, Exec.Secretary
(757)881-5061, Option 9, x.11109
Employment at NNPS: Job Postings
Special Ed. Teacher
Job Summary: Position is responsible for creating a classroom environment favorable to learning and personal growth of every student; establishing effective rapport with students; motivating students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for becoming a responsible citizen in accordance with each pupil’s ability; and to establish good relationships with parents and with other staff members.
Must possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education or a related field. Must be eligible or possess Virginia Collegiate Professional License or Postgraduate Professional License with appropriate endorsement in Mental Retardation. Must possess ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents, & the public.
Reports to: Principal
- Instructs students in a program of study which meets stated objectives and provides transfer of knowledge.
- Instructs students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of Newport News Public Schools.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials, provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Guides the learning process toward achievement of all IEP’s and in harmony with the goals, establish clear objectives for the students.
- Serves as liaison between classroom and specialty areas.
- Evaluates academic and social growth of students, prepares report cards, keeps appropriate records to include attendance reports, checklists, census forms, and other recordkeeping activities as necessary.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of specialists as required to provide accurate and objective statements relevant to student progress in a timely manner.
- Communicates regularly with parents or guardians through conferences and other means to discuss student progress.
- Supervises and monitors student movement and escorts students to resources, bathrooms, buses, cafeteria, room changes and other activities in the building.
- Serves as a member of a multidisciplinary team as appropriate.
- Administers standardized testing in accordance with division testing practices.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Maintains professional competence by attending staff development programs, curriculum development meetings and other professional activities.
- Participates in various student and parent activities which occur in school including PTA, student clubs and after-school activities.
- Creates an effective learning environment through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and activity/learning centers.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by Principal or other appropriate administrator.
Target Date of Employment: 2011-2012 school year
Salary: Based on experience and Teacher Pay Scale
Application Procedure: Interested persons who meet the minimum qualifications should apply online at https://nnps.munisselfservice.com/employmentopportunities/default.aspx. Open Until Filled.
PLEASE NOTE: If you need assistance with the ONLINE application process, please contact Human Resources directly at (757) 881-5061.
The school division reserves the right to revise, delete, or add provisions to the Job Summary,
Essential Duties, Job Specifications, Knowledge Required, Working Conditions, and any other provision of the postings
for positions, should the school division decide to re-advertise positions.
The Newport News School Division does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, creed, marital status, age or disability in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Section 504, and ADA regulations. Stephanie Hautz, HR Supervisor, Human Resources, Newport News Public Schools, at 12507 Warwick Blvd., Newport News, VA 23606, (757-881-5061), is responsible for coordinating the division's efforts to meet its obligations under Section 504, Title IX, the ADA, and their implementing regulations.