In The News
NNPS proposed calendars for 2017-2018
Calendar committee seeks parent and community input
(03/03/2017) - The draft 2017-2018 school division calendars are available for your review. Please note that state law requires public schools to open after Labor Day.
The NNPS School Calendar Committee, which consists of representatives from various employees groups and parents, seeks your input regarding the proposed calendars for the 2017-2018 school year. The proposed calendars are the result of a collaborative effort of all school divisions on the Peninsula to develop a regional calendar, which allows for more uniformity among school divisions in this geographical area. Some dates may vary by school division.
Factors in Calendar Planning
Please review these Factors in Calendar Planning that provide the guidelines within which the calendar is developed.
- The educational program must be the primary consideration.
- Student school year must begin after Labor Day.
- Teachers generally return 7 to 8 days prior to students.
- State requires a minimum of 180 student days. (NNPS adds 1 inclement weather day to use if needed - 181)
- NNPS instructional staff contracts require 191 teacher days. (NNPS adds 1 inclement weather day to use if needed - 192)
- Twelve-month employee contracts consist of 245 days.
- NNPS works with surrounding school divisions to designate the same holidays as often as possible for consistency with regional education programs and potential staff development opportunities.
- Determination of marking periods
- Designation of parent conference days
- Determination of professional development days
- Determination of early dismissal days