Transcripts and Records Management

Direct Dial: (757) 591-4537
Fax: (757) 591-9226

Penny Norton, Records Manager
(757) 283-7879 x.10228

Records Mgmt. Specialists:
Melissa Goodrich, x.10258
Karen Carvell, x.10257
Kelly Sibley, x.10272

Student Records & Transcript Requests

In accordance with federal and state laws, the school division maintains a student's permanent academic record - containing student's name, address,phone number, grades, attendance record and year of graduation or withdrawal - for 75 years. Also in accordance with federal and state laws, special education records are maintained only for five years after a student withdraws or graduates from NNPS. Special Education record contents may include an Individualized Education Program (IEP), psychological assessments, social histories, triennial evaluations, eligibility review meeting notes and any other documents related to the eligibility review process for special education services.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) afford parents and students over 18 years of age ("eligible students") with certain rights with respects to the student's education records.

K-12 Transfer Access & Records Requests

Click here for student records requestsIn an effort to provide an enhanced and more secure service for our transfer students, all K-12 traditional public school (in-person/virtual), charter, magnet, or private school records requests for our former students must be made online using our new student record request system, K-12 Transfer, by Scribbles Software. Fax, phone calls, emails, and mail will no longer be accepted.

To request records from Newport News Public Schools, please visit our self-service portal at and follow the steps below:

  • Site Access: Scroll down to K-12 Districts. Select the following to get started and click the icon.

  • Account Creation: Each person requesting records from Newport News Public Schools is required to set up an account. You must use your school email address. Personal email addresses will not be accepted.

  • Verification: Once the account is set up, there is a verification process that takes about 24 hours to complete. You will receive an email notification once your account is verified. You only need to be verified once, then you may submit as many requests as you need.

  • Submit Request: When you receive the "verification complete" email notification, you are then able to log in to the K-12 Transfer application and submit your requests to Newport News Public Schools. We enforce this verification process to keep students safe.

  • Downloading: When you receive the "processing complete" email, you can log in to the K-12 Transfer application to download the student record(s) you requested.

Newport News Public Schools has activated the K-12 Transfer product from Scribbles Software, as they have been a long-time partner. K-12 Transfer manages the cumbersome transfer process, but it also produces accurate reports of student whereabouts, helping us significantly when tracking students for graduation as well as for funding purposes. As this is a new process, if you have any issues setting up your account, questions about the process, or want to know more about the product, please contact [email protected].

Current and Former Students

Current and former Newport News Public School (NNPS) students may obtain copies of their education and/or health records pursuant to the following procedures for requesting records.


Parents of students who are under 18 years of age (or eligible students) may obtain copies of education and/or health records directly from the school where their child is currently enrolled. There is a minimal fee to obtain student records. However, there is never a fee charged to obtain a copy of a student's Individualized Education Program (IEP) and health/immunization records.

Current high school students who need a copy of their high school transcript for college applications may contact their school's GuidanceDepartment and/or Guidance Counselor to obtain a copy. The first three (3) copies of the transcript requested by a current high school student (for college, employer, etc.) will be free. All other copies of the transcript will be at a charge of $2.00 per transcript. This includes official and unofficial copies.


Former students (alumni) may submit a records request by mail or online to receive a copy of their school transcript, test scores or immunization records.

Online Requests

Former students may submit records requests using the division's online student records request system. Requesters will be asked to enter their name while attending school, the name of the last NNPS School they attended, the date of graduation or withdrawal, date of birth and additional information to authenticate their identity. Payment by credit card must be made online with the request. Upon submission, requests will be processed within 14 working days and mailed to the address provided.

Mail Requests

Former students may request student records by submitting the school division's Transcript / Records Release Form. Complete and sign the form authorizing the release of your student educational record. Mail form with a copy of a valid picture ID and fee ($2.00 per copy requested, cash or money order payable to Newport News Public Schools) to the following address:

Newport News Public Schools
Attention: Central Records
12465 Warwick Blvd.
Newport News, VA 23606

All requests will be processed within 14 working days upon receipt of a complete and signed form (online or mail) with proper identification and payment. A $2.00 fee will be charged for each copy requested with the exception of immunization records. Records will be mailed to the address provided by the requester.

Verification Companies

Verification companies needing graduation verification for former students may request this service from the online student records request system for a $10 fee per request.

High School Diplomas

We cannot provide replacement diplomas.

GED Certificates

Persons who have taken the GED exam in Newport News can request a copy of their transcript and/or certificate through one of the following methods:

  • Access the Web Site:
  • You may also call GED Credentialing toll free at 888-906-4031 to order documents.

Notice to Students and Parents Regarding Student Educational Records