- Our Sponsors
- Daily Press article
- More TLN Site Visit Information
- National School Boards Association
- Technology Leadership Network
TLN Site Visit Agenda
Scan QR code to view complete schedule on your smartphone or iPod Touch.
As a distinguished recipient of the 2009 Technology Leadership Salute District Award, Newport News Public Schools continues to innovate through the use of technology in all phases of its operation. Visitors can expect to experience a full slate of classroom visits, student and staff showcases, and mini-learning sessions at all school levels during their stay. Additionally, opportunities to visit our nationally-recognized Aviation Academy and Telecommunications Center will be available.
Wednesday, April 27
- 6:00pm – 8:00pm: Registration, Reception, Vendor Fair, and School Site Showcase at the Omni Hotel
Thursday, April 28
- 7:15am – 8:20am: Registration, Breakfast at the Omni Hotel
- 8:35am: Buses depart hotel for School Site Tours A, B, and C
- 11:30am – 12:30pm: Lunch at school site for each tour
- 12:30pm – 3:30pm: Continuation of School Site Tours A, B, and C
- 3:30pm: Buses depart for Omni Hotel
- 6:00pm – 10:00pm: A relaxing evening of dinner, dancing, and animal ambiance will be had as our guests are invited to the Virginia Living Museum. Cocktails, stargazing, and live music will complement the affair.
Friday, April 29
- 8:00am – 9:15am: Registration, Breakfast at the Omni Hotel
- 9:30am: Bus departs hotel for Site Tours A, B, and C direct transfer to the Newport News (NN) airport terminal by 1:30pm (visitors may choose to return to the hotel instead by remaining on the shuttle but will be responsible for making their own way to the airport)
School Site Tours A, B, and C – Thursday, April 28th
Newport News Public Schools has constructed three independent tours of school sites to showcase the innovative and effective use of technology in teaching, learning, and leading. Each tour will take guests to a combination of elementary, middle and high school sites in different regions of the city, spending approximately two hours at each level. Each school combination will be within a small geographic radius to maximize time spent on-site. Guests can expect to experience a rich combination of classroom visits, student and staff showcases, and breakout sessions covering:
- Student-produced live morning video shows
- Mobile learning devices in use in classrooms
- Electronic student portfolios
- Video-conferencing for students and staff
- Online management of administrative classroom observations and walkthroughs
- On-site live-tracking of buses via GPS
- Technology-oriented Career Pathways clubs and internships
- 21st century science labs and electronic science probes
- Assistive technologies
- Math, science, and technology-themed magnet schools
- And much more!
Site Tours A, B, and C– Friday, April 29th
Three more concurrent tours are available Friday. Each tour will visit the same four sites in differing orders. Newport News Public Schools maintains state-of-the-art telecommunications and technology facilities that support student learning, teacher instruction, and city-wide infrastructure needs. One visit on each of Friday’s tours will showcase our Telecommunications Center and TV Truck where students create and distribute live and recorded video feeds of sports competitions, student performances, school board meetings, and more. Another visit will feature our Technology Center to highlight the use of virtual servers, video-conferencing, live remote technical support, and other key technologies that support our schools. Additionally, the tours will visit the Aviation Academy, a specialized four-year program to prepare highly motivated and successful high school students for a rewarding and well-paying career in engineering technology with an emphasis on aviation and computers. Located on the grounds of the Newport News / Williamsburg International Airport, the Aviation Academy is a terrific example of innovative collaboration between public education and commercial enterprise to prepare our youth for the future. Finally, the tours will visit one of our Pre-K schools where technology plays a key role in helping our youngest of learners develop early literacies.