(757) 283-7850 x.10526
Visit us on Facebook
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, A/V Tech, & Communications
- Business, Management, Administration
- Education & Training
- Government & Public Administration
- Health Science
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Human Services
- Information Technology, Modeling/Simulation, Gaming
- Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
Internship Roles and Responsibilities
- Monitors Career Pathways at the school site.
- Appoints a Career Pathways Coordinator for the building.
- Reports to stakeholders (Superintendent, Board, Principals, Senior Staff, etc.) about Career Pathways at the school site.
Career Pathways Facilitator
- Identifies Career Pathways Coordinators for student Internships.
- Provides training to the Career Pathway Coordinators.
- Monitors internships as they relate to NNPS Benchmarks.
- Makes appropriate decisions for Career Pathways Internships.
- Collects, analyzes, and distributes data related to Career Pathways.
Career Pathways Coordinator
- Assists students in securing meaningful internships that relate to each student’s Career Pathway.
- Provides an orientation for both the site supervisor and the student before the internship begins.
- Monitors student progress for the duration of the internship.
- Makes periodic visits to the internship site to observe the student intern, consult with the mentor, and provide assistance and support with any problems the student intern may have.
- Assists in the evaluation of the student’s internship experience.
- Provides in-school instruction related to the student intern’s placement and career objectives.
- Works and cooperates with the mentor in developing appropriate activities related to the student intern’s career objectives and internship placement.
- Provides a variety of meaningful experiences for the student intern.
- Provides a prearranged number of hours at the internship site.
- Provides student intern with work site rules and regulations.
- Provides adequate supervision of the intern, and a planned program of internship activities, to ensure the student receives maximum educational benefit.
- Assists in the evaluation of the student intern.
- Provides time for consultation with the Career Pathways Coordinator regarding the student intern’s progress.
- Provides appropriate instructional material and occupational guidance for the student intern.
- Attends school and internship site as required. Immediately notifies the Career Pathways Coordinator of any absences from school and the internship. Does not go to the internship site without first going to school—except with the written
permission of the Career Pathways Coordinator. Students who fail to adhere to this part of the agreement will not receive a passing grade in the internship experience.
- Performs internship responsibilities and classroom assignments to the best of his/her ability, and adheres to the rules and regulations of both the school and the internship site.
- Consults the Career Pathways Coordinator about any changes or difficulties related to the internship experience.
- Represents Newport News Public Schools by showing honesty, punctuality, courtesy, a cooperative attitude, proper health and grooming habits, appropriate dress, and a willingness to learn.
- Is responsible for transportation to and from the internship site.
- Encourages the student to perform internship duties and responsibilities.
- Understands that the student intern must attend school. The student may not report to the internship site without first attending school.
- Accepts responsibility for the safety and conduct of the student while he/she is traveling to and from school, the internship site, and home.
- Shares responsibility for the conduct of the student intern at the work site.
- Makes inquiries concerning the student intern through the Career Pathways Coordinator rather than going directly to the internship mentor.