Supervisor of Instructional Technology
(757) 283-7850 x.10225
Terri McCaughan, Executive Director, Elementary Curriculum & Development
(757) 283-7850 x.10229
Nancy Sweat, Executive Director, Secondary Curriculum & Development
(757) 283-7850 x.10208
Angela Rhett, Supervisor I
(757) 283-7850 x.10114
NNPS STAFF ONLY
If you have questions about curriculum file access, please contact your curriculum supervisor.
eLearning Services for Students
eLearning is a teaching and learning approach used in Newport News where education takes place using computers, the Internet and other technologies. Students and adults can experience eLearning in courses they take in schools/worksites or through another form of distance delivery offering. eLearning can either be synchronous (where students/adults are online all at the same time) or asynchronous (where students/adults are online at different times at their own convenience). Students and adults experience online learning in a variety of ways in Newport News including, but not limited to, virtual field trips, mathematics/literacy labs, NovaNET®, Virtual Virginia, Virtual Connection, online tutorial resources, knowledge sharing and professional development in your pjs.
Please contact your child's guidance counselor for specific course listings available for NovaNET and Virtual Virginia.
Student Qualities That Lead To Success When Taking Online Courses
- Being technologically comfortable
- Having at least semi-daily access to appropriate computing resources and a distraction-free work area
- Being self-motivated and able to complete work without frequent supervision
- Being adept at time-management
- Being comfortable expressing ideas in writing
- Being comfortable gaining knowledge through extensive reading of various material
- Being comfortable communicating without face-to-face interaction with students and facilitators
- Having sufficient time available to devote to an online course on a regular basis
- Being able to communicate with a school-appropriate "online presence"
- Being able to adhere to deadlines, expectations, and assignment details
- Being able to contribute to online discussions with facilitators and other students
- Being able to work cooperatively with other students
Ways For Parents To Support Students Taking Online Courses
- Discuss the online course with the student frequently for support
- Provide appropriate supervision to help students stay on-task and to meet deadlines
- Provide an appropriate work area for the student in the home if none is available elsewhere