Greta Foster, Exec.Secretary
(757)881-5061, Option 9, x.11109
Employment at NNPS: Job Postings
Technology Education Teacher
October 7, 2011
Position is responsible for creating a classroom environment that develops in each student an awareness of the role of technology education.
Must possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and be eligible for a Virginia teaching license with appropriate endorsement to teach technology education. Must possess the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents, and the public.
Reports To: School Principal and Instructional Supervisor
- Teaches skills, knowledge, and scientific attitudes through courses in technology education to students, utilizing curriculum designated by Newport News Public Schools.
- Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with the division’s basic instructional philosophy to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student and subgroups of students.
- Instructs students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of Newport News Public Schools.
- Plans a technology education program involving demonstrations, lectures, discussions, and student experiments; organizes activities for optimal learning.
- Instructs students in the proper use, care and safe handling of equipment.
- Evaluates academic and social growth of students, prepares report cards, and keeps appropriate records to include attendance reports, checklists, census forms, and other recordkeeping activities as necessary.
- Provides for safe storage and proper use of materials, equipment and tools.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior for a productive learning environment during class sessions and field trips.
- Evaluates each student’s growth in knowledge and skills in the course being taught.
- Communicates with parents and school counselors on student progress.
- Supervises students in assigned out of classroom activities during the working day.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Administers testing in accordance with division testing practices.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Maintains professional competence by attending staff development programs, curriculum development meetings and other professional activities.
- Participates in various student and parent activities which occur in school including PTA, student clubs and after-school activities.
- Creates an effective learning environment through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and activity/learning centers.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrator.
Target Date of Employment: As soon as possible
Salary: Appropriate Teacher Salary Scale
Application Procedure: Interested persons who meet the minimum qualifications should apply online at https://nnps.munisselfservice.com/employmentopportunities/default.aspx. Open Until Filled.
PLEASE NOTE: If you need assistance with the ONLINE application process, please contact Human Resources directly at (757) 881-5061.
The school division reserves the right to revise, delete, or add provisions to the Job Summary,
Essential Duties, Job Specifications, Knowledge Required, Working Conditions, and any other provision of the postings
for positions, should the school division decide to re-advertise positions.
The Newport News School Division does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, creed, marital status, age or disability in its programs, activities, or employment practices as required by the Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Section 504, and ADA regulations. Stephanie Hautz, HR Supervisor, Human Resources, Newport News Public Schools, at 12507 Warwick Blvd., Newport News, VA 23606, (757-881-5061), is responsible for coordinating the division's efforts to meet its obligations under Section 504, Title IX, the ADA, and their implementing regulations.