Public Hearing on Renaming of Schools
Posted: August 28, 2020
The Newport News School Board is considering changing some school names that do not reflect the School Board's values of inclusion and diversity and is seeking public comment. A public hearing will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 8, 2020, in the Administration Building auditorium, 12465 Warwick Boulevard, Newport News.
Four school names were identified for consideration now and placed in the first tier:
- J.M. Dozier Middle School
- Horace H. Epes Elementary School
- Lee Hall Elementary School
- R.O. Nelson Elementary School
Six school names were placed in tier 2 and 3 and will be considered in the future:
- B.C. Charles Elementary School
- Denbigh Early Childhood Center
- Denbigh High School
- Richneck Elementary School
- Joseph H. Saunders Elementary School
- Richard T. Yates Elementary Schools
Citizens may attend the public hearing, submit comments via the website at www.nnschools.org/board or leave a voicemail message at (757) 283-7784 by 6 p.m. on September 8.