Ashby C. Kilgore, Ed.D.
- Superintendent's Home Page
- About Dr. Kilgore
- Food for Thought
- Contact the Superintendent
- Student Advisory Group on Education (SAGE)
- Signs of Success
- NNPS Dashboard
- NNPS Strategic Plan (Agenda for Public Education in Newport News)
- Gateway to Opportunity
- Report to the Community
- Past NNPS Superintendents
- 2006-present: Dr. Ashby C. Kilgore
- 2003-2006: Dr. Marcus Newsome
- 1996-2003: Dr. Wayne D. Lett
- 1992-1996: Dr. Eric J. Smith
- 1984-1991: Donald S. Bruno
- 1979-1984: Oliver C. Greenwood
- 1975-1979: Dr. Don R. Roberts
- 1965-1975: George J. McIntosh
- 1946-1965: Robert O. Nelson
- 1921-1946: Joseph H. Saunders
- 1913-1921: David A. Dutrow
- 1901-1911: Willis A. Jenkins
- *1951-1957: T. Ryland Sanford, Jr.
(superintendent of Warwick City Schools)
- *1930s-1940s: T. Ryland Sanford, Jr.
(superintendent of schools in Warwick and York Counties)
- *1918: B.C. Charles
(superintendent of schools in Warwick and York Counties at end of WWI)
*Newport News was located in Warwick County, which is now extinct. It was established as a town in 1880 and incorporated as a city by act of the General Assembly in 1896, without ever having been incorporated as a town. The Newport News (Va.) Board of School Trustees was established in 1896 when the city was incorporated. It was replaced by the School Board in 1921. Newport News was enlarged by consolidation with the city of Warwick in 1958. The Newport News City Public Schools District was established in 1958 when the Old City of Newport News and the former city of Warwick (Warwick County prior to 1952) were consolidated.