These are some additional resources and web sites that are available to enrich the elementary language arts curriculum. These sites are divided into the following categories: reference, magazines, publishers, web guides, and book awards. These web sites have a variety of material, information and activities that can enhance children's learning.
- Little Explorer Picture Dictionary, Picture dictionary with links for preschoolers
- Word Central, Sponsored by Merriam Websters
- Merriam-Webster, Gives definitions, synonyms and antonyms
- Common Errors in English, Not particularly kid friendly but useful for explanations
- Dr. Grammar
- Fun with Words, Thinkquest site - lots of fun games
- National Geographic for kids
- National Geographic World
- Time for kids, Time Magazine for children - weekly
- Washington Post KidsPost
- New York Times Learning Network for grades 3-12, Includes news, lesson plan archives, news snapshots, on this day in history, issues in depth and the online crossword puzzle
- PBS Kids, Links to PBS children's programming and online stories read aloud
- Weekly Reader, Sections for pk-gr. 6, teen agers, parents and teachers.
- Scholastic, Areas for teachers, parents and children
- Houghton Mifflin, Areas for teachers, parents and children, great downloadable graphic organizers, lesson plans and searchable databases for reading math and science
- Random House for kids, Previews and activities, authors, ebooks
- Holt Rinehart and Winston, Interesting online activities
- School Library Journal, Monthly book reviews and articles
- Vandegrift's Literature Page, Readings,lists,author interviews. Excellent lists done by ethnic groups.
- Stories from the Web, Exerpts from new books, titles, chances for students to review books
- World of Reading, Sponsored by the Ann Arbor District Library. Reviews on books by students. Can be searched by author title or subject, also many links
- Horn book
- Children's Literature Web guide
- BookAdventure, Lists of books recommended by children and questions to go with books
- Children's Book Council, Electronic site of the Children's Book Council. Especially interesting is the list of 75 authors and illustrators that every child should know
- Children's Book Guild of Washington D.C., Electronic site of the Children's Book Guild of Washington D.C. Lists of authors and illustrators. List of books set in Virginia, Maryland and Washington D.C.
- Children's Literature Book Review site, Themed reviews of children's books. Lots of lists!