CTE Goals & Initiatives
- Explore career interest and plan for postsecondary and career opportunities through work-based learning experiences.
- To increase the number and types of industry certification and training opportunities available for NNPS students and CTE teachers
- To provide additional dual enrollment (college credit) opportunities for students in each high school
- To encourage and support participation in Career and Technical Student Organizations (CTSO) by all program areas
Industry Certifications in NNPS
Newport News Public Schools offers more than 70 Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses designed around industry standards for high-wage, high-demand and high-skill careers. Each course is a part of a sequential program of study that teaches the academic knowledge and technical skills necessary to be successful in a given career field. Learn more.
Industry and Professional Certifications Provide Marketable Job Skills
Industry and professional certifications validate students’ professional knowledge and technical skills to potential employers. In the current economy, certifications are an increasingly important tool for improved marketability and career opportunities.
NNPS CTE Courses Prepare Students for Industry Certifications
Students enrolled in CTE courses have the opportunity to earn an industry or professional certification in their field of study. Examples include:
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS)
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA)
- Autodesk Certified User (ACU)
- National Retail Federation (NRF) Customer Service and Sales
- W!SE Financial Literacy Certification
- Culinary Arts Assessment and Certification
- Workplace Readiness Skills for the Commonwealth Examination
- VA Board of Nursing, Nursing Aide Examination
- Certified EKG Technician Examination
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician Examination
- Health Assisting Assessment
- Project Lead the Way End-of-Course Examination
- Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)
- Television Production Assessment
- Criminal Justice and CSI Examination
- Protective Services Assessment
This program allows students to earn credit toward a high school diploma and a post-secondary diploma, certificate, or degree simultaneously. The program was developed to increase coursework rigor, improve the transition from secondary to post-secondary institutions, and offer students opportunities that better prepare them for life after high school. Learn more.
Career & Technical Student Organizations (CTSO)
CTSO programs provide students with an opportunity to apply what they are learning through leadership activities and competitive events. CTSOs promote awareness of career options; develop critical and creative thinking skills through hands-on, real world learning experiences; improve communication and collaboration skills; and cultivate social development and citizenship. Learn more.