NNPS Promotes Resilience Through Reading
Posted: May 11, 2022
The Newport News Public Schools Literacy Committee invites students and families to reflect on the past two years and strive to be resilient learners and community members. The goal is to engage the entire NNPS community through One Book One Division, an initiative centered on the book I Am Courage: A Story of Resilience.
I Am Courage is part of the I Am book series by author Susan Verde. The book is a celebration of everyday courage and serves as an empowering reminder that anything can be conquered. The book includes exercises to inspire confidence in all of us.
Throughout the month of May, NNPS is focusing on a different theme each week with a variety of suggested activities to get everyone involved in the book's theme:
- May 2-6: Courage Pledge Week
- May 9-13: I Am Courage, What's Your Story?
- May 16-20: NNPS Families Read
- May 23-27: Community Partners Read
- May 30-June 3: We Are Courage - Our Story of Resilience
- June 4: One City, Wake Up and Read Summer Kick-off at Brittingham-Midtown Community Center, 570 McLawhorne Drive, Newport News
One Book One Division's story of resilience introduces students to various texts, art, music, personal stories and content-related discussions to help them better realize the attributes of becoming a resilient LEARNER.
Teachers and staff are engaging students in a variety of literacy-based activities that provide opportunities to help students make connections in various subject areas and life.
How to access I Am Courage: A Story of Resilience and other books in the Sora Database:
- Log into CLEVER using your NNPS credentials
- Scroll to the SSO Applications section
- Click on the SORA app
- Follow the prompts to join Newport News Public Schools
- "I Am Courage" will be displayed on the banner
- Click the book icon
- Directly underneath the book you will click "borrow"
- Open the book and enjoy the story
- For other books about Resilience, click on the "Explore" tab at the bottom
Suggested At-Home Activities
- Create an indoor and/or outdoor area for family reading opportunities.
- Plan a Family Literacy Night experience (e.g. The Masked Reader).
- Collaborate with the community for reading opportunities (e.g. Read to Animals, Record and Share for Assisted Living Homes, Read to a Community Member).
- Build a family reading challenge around the book or similar books.
- Develop an affirmation based on the book that will be used by the family.
- Create grade-level appropriate writing opportunities connected to the book's theme.
- Other great ideas await! Be Creative!