VPI Coordinator + Preschool Instructional Specialist, (757) 283-7850 x.10249
Program Administrator, Federal Programs
NNPS Preschool is designed to help young learners gain an understanding of their world through joyful, developmentally appropriate experiences. Literacy instruction follows a continuum that builds on the child’s needs to communicate through meaningful and authentic activities in oral language, reading, and writing. Mathematical concepts develop through questions, problem solving, persistence, and communication. Units of study based on science and social studies concepts provide opportunities for students to understand themselves, friends, families, communities, and the larger world in which they live through inquiry, play, and daily experiences with art, music, and physical activity.
- Children are assigned to a school based on the home address of the child’s parent/guardian.
- Parent/Guardian participation is expected; open communication, parent-teacher conferences, and family workshops/activities are integral as part of a positive school experience.
- Transportation is provided to and from school, based on the home address of the child's parent/legal guardian.
- Breakfast and lunch are provided by NNPS.
- NNPS Preschool students enter kindergarten at their zoned NNPS elementary school the following school year.
Preschool at NNPS
Newport News Public Schools (NNPS) Preschool is a program that provides 4-year-olds in Newport News a FREE, high-quality, early childhood experience in preparation for kindergarten readiness (and beyond!). It is a state and federally funded program, designed to give eligible children opportunities to develop social-emotional skills and build a strong foundation for learning on the journey to becoming college, career and citizen-ready!
Please note: NNPS Preschool is a state and federally funded program, and all applications will be reviewed based on eligibility criteria and space availability. You will receive notification after your child’s application has been reviewed.
Frequently Asked Questions
To be eligible for the 2021-2022 NNPS Preschool program:
- The child must live in Newport News, VA.
- The child’s birthday must be between October 1, 2016 and September 30, 2017.
- The child’s family must meet Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) requirements for eligibility; see full list of VPI and NNPS Preschool criteria. (Criterio de Elegibilidad)
- The child must have up-to-date immunizations (or have proof of a medical or religious exemption, set forth by Virginia law).
We highly encourage ALL interested families with a 4-year-old child to apply for NNPS Preschool. We may place your child on a temporary waitlist and will continue to fill preschool slots throughout the spring, summer, and 21-22 school year based on a variety of criteria, in addition to the listed VPI criteria.
The NNPS Preschool application window opens March 10 and will remain open through the 2021-22 school year. Please visit the NNPS Online Pre-Registration Portal to apply.
- Income verification – Verification of income (W2, two weeks of pay stubs, child support documentation, 2020 tax documentation, SNAP award) is required from all parents/guardians who have primary custody or contribute to the child's welfare to determine eligibility for NNPS Preschool. Please view NNPS Income Verification details for additional information. (Verificación de Ingresos)
- Certified copy of student's birth certificate
- Proof of legal residency
- Comprehensive physical examination (Preschool–Grade 5)
- Immunization records
- Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Eligibility/Plan (if applicable, current plan)
- Custodial court order (if applicable)
- Foster care plan (if applicable)
Additional details can be found on the NNPS Online Pre-Registration Portal page.
Please visit the NNPS Online Pre-Registration Portal to apply (beginning March 10).
You may also visit any NNPS school to apply online in the school office or request application support. Online applications are preferred, however, if you are unable to access the online application or visit any NNPS school, please contact the NNPS Federal Programs office at (757) 283-7788, ext. 12183, to request a paper version of the NNPS Registration Packet.
All applications will be reviewed based on eligibility criteria and program space availability. Parents/Guardians will receive notification within 4 weeks after the application and appropriate documentation has been submitted. You will receive one of the following notifications:
- Your child is being invited to participate in the NNPS Preschool program and you will need to visit your child's zoned school to complete the registration process, OR
- Your child has been put on our waitlist and you will be contacted if/when space becomes available at your child's zoned preschool.
Children are assigned to a school based on the home address of the child's parent/guardian. Please use our Bus Stop Query and Zonefinder to find your child's school.
NNPS Preschool Centers
NNPS Preschool is a full-day program. Every preschool class is taught by a certified teacher, supported by a full-day instructional assistant, and does not exceed 20 students. The NNPS Preschool program operates under the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI). Each NNPS Preschool classroom utilizes the Creative Curriculum and supports instruction with Smarty Ants and Ready Rosie in alignment with the VDOE Foundation Blocks for Early Learners. All NNPS Preschool students receive a division-issued iPad for at-home and in-school use as part of our blended learning model.
Please call the NNPS Federal Programs office: (757) 283-7788, ext. 12183.