Immunization requirements must be met by all students before starting school. Please do not register without proper documentation. Contact your child's health care provider if you have questions. Vaccines are available at the Peninsula Health Department. Call (757) 594-7410 for more information.
Immunizations and Health Requirements
Is your child ready to be enrolled in Newport News Public Schools?
Learn about health requirements for enrollment: www.vdh.virginia.gov/backtoschool
All students must receive the following vaccinations to enroll in and attend school. Students in Pre-K programs and elementary schools must also receive a physical exam. Review your child's vaccine needs based on their grade level this school year. The number of doses your child needs may vary based on age and previous doses received. Your child may need additional doses if previous doses were given too early.
|HEALTH/IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS||PRE-K (PEEP, ECC)||KINDERGARTEN-GRADE 5||GRADES 6-11||GRADE 12|
(If physical is provided for a NNPS Pre-K program another is not required to enter elementary school)
|1 Exam: Performed within 12 months of initial entry||1 Exam: Performed within 12 months of first entry to school in any school division|
|Haemophilus influenza type b (Hib)||1 to 4 doses|
|Pneumococcal conjugate (PCV)||1 to 4 doses|
|Hepatitis A (Hep A)||Pre-K through Grade 2: 2 doses|
|Hepatitis B (Hep B)||3 doses||3 doses||3 doses||3 doses|
|Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR)||1 dose||2 doses||2 doses||2 doses|
|Varicella (Chickenpox)||1 dose||2 doses||2 doses||2 doses|
|Polio (IPV/OPV)||3-4 doses||4 doses (4th dose on or after 4th birthday)
or 3 doses if dose 3 given on or after 4th birthday and 6 months after dose 2
|Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (DTaP)||3-4 doses||4 doses (4th dose on or after 4th birthday)
or 3 doses if 7 or older, dose 1 given on or after 1st birthday AND dose 3 given on or after 4th birthday
|Tetanus, Diptheria, and Pertussis Booster (Tdap)||Grade 7: 1 dose for ALL students
Grades 8-12: 1 dose if not received prior to 7th grade entry
|Meningococcal conjugate (MenACWY, MCV4)||Grades 7, 8, 9: 1 dose
Grade 12: 1 dose on or after 16th birthday
|Human Papillomavirus (HPV)||Grade 7: 2 doses (1 dose before entry)|
- Physical, Pre-K: A report of a physical examination performed within 12 months of the first day of school is required to enroll regardless of birth month. Students who attend a NNPS Pre-K program and provided a physical exam are not required to provide another upon entry to K.
- Physical, K-5th grade: Students being admitted to NNPS for the first time are required to provide a report of a physical examination performed within 12 months of the date the student first entered school in any school division. Out of state physical exams are acceptable if the information provided is comprehensive and inclusive of Virginia requirements. Download the Virginia Department of Health School Physical Form.
- Pre-K students with August or September birthdays may enroll with proof of 3 doses of DTP and IPV. An updated vaccine record which includes 4 doses of each must be provided within 30 days from birthday. Must be up to date on all other vaccines and provide physical exam to enroll and begin school.
- The initial enrollment date is the first date of school attendance in any school system (K through 5).
- Enrollment date in NNPS is the first date of attendance, not registration.
If no records are available, the student will be referred to the Health Department or private medical provider to receive:
Pre-K – 12th grade
1 DTP, TDAP, DT or Td
|Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd grades||Hep A|
|7th, 8th, 9th & 12 grades||Meningococcal|
|Pre-K Only||1 Pneumococcal|
By Virginia state law, students should not be enrolled without at least one dose of all required shots.
Download immunization and health requirements pdf.