Social Work Services
School social workers provide the following services to support smart, safe, and nurturing schools:
- Work collaboratively to mobilize the resources of the school and community to meet the educational needs of students and families as well as to facilitate access to mental health services.
- Provide intervention, consultation, and counseling for students who are experiencing significant difficulties that adversely impact educational experiences.
- Participate in multidisciplinary team meetings (e.g. Child Study) to assist in the development of Tier 1, 2, and 3 interventions to address concerns that impact students’ academic and/or behavioral performance.
- Interview parents and conduct appropriate assessments to assist in the process of eligibility determination for possible special education services.
- Provide support and advocacy to parents to ensure positive engagement with school and their community through direct intervention (e.g. parenting skill sessions), consultation, and connection to community resources.
- Work collaboratively with all professionals within the school to provide crisis intervention, violence prevention, and suicide prevention services.
"There is no greater joy nor reward than to make a fundamental difference in someone’s life.” Mary Rose McGeady
RESOURCES FOR PARENTS
- Health Insurance
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Community Resource Guide
- Response to Intervention- A Primer for Parents
- Parent Newsletter
- Tool Kit for Hispanic Families
- United Way of the Virginia Peninsula
"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but reveal to them their own.” Benjamin Disraeli
School Social Workers Directory
|Denbigh Early Childhood||Donna Thornton
|Lee Hall Early Childhood||Donna Thornton
|Marshall Early Childhood||Sonja Jones|
|Watkins Early Childhood||Sara Chopp|
|* All PEEP Social Workers are based out of Gatewood PEEP Center.|
|Achievable Dream Academy||Mara Yoko - (BLOG)|
|Charles||Breshell Jackson Nevels|
|Deer Park||Chrystal Bailey|
|Epes||Mara Yoko - (BLOG)|
|General Stanford||Donna Thornton
|Jenkins||Mara Yoko - (BLOG)|
|Kiln Creek||Stephanie Gore - (BLOG)|
|Lee Hall||Charles Brooks|
|Newsome Park||Bonita Croom Kimbrew - (BLOG)|
|Richneck||Bonita Croom Kimbrew - (BLOG)|
|Riverside||Bonita Croom Kimbrew - (BLOG)|
|Sedgefield||Breshell Jackson Nevels|
|Yates||Mara Yoko - (BLOG)|
|Achievable Dream Middle & High||Grace Taylor|
|Gildersleeve||Breshell Jackson Nevels|
|Washington||Charles Brooks and Stephanie Gore - (BLOG)|
|Achievable Dream Middle & High||Bonita Croom Kimbrew - (BLOG) and Sharon Richardson|
|Denbigh||Stephanie Gore - (BLOG)|
|Heritage||Stephanie Gore - (BLOG)|
|Enterprise||Bonita Croom Kimbrew - (BLOG)|