Archers advance to National Tournament
Posted: March 24, 2022
Three Newport News Public Schools archery teams and three individual archers scored well enough at the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) State Tournament in Doswell, VA on March 12th to qualify to compete at the NASP National Tournament in Louisville, KY in May 12-14, 2022.
The team for Richneck Elementary placed second at the state level and scored 2645, qualifying for national competition by exceeding the required score of 2500.
The Richneck team also boasted three outstanding individual scores during the team competition:
- Addisyn Williamson earned first place in the state for girls with the highest individual score of 259 (out of a possible 300) and was awarded a new bow.
- Hadassah Bates earned second place in the state for girls with the second highest individual score of 251.
- Donnell Lomax finished fourth in the state for boys with a score of 257.
The team for B. C. Charles Elementary earned third place in the state and earned a score of 2488, heartbreakingly close to a qualifying score of 2500 for nationals. However, three individual archers for Charles did qualify for nationals. Those archers are Ryan Washington, Elyssa Wright, and Peyton Telfare.
Gildersleeve Middle School's team placed third in the state and qualified for the NASP National Tournament with a score of 3120, besting the minimum qualifying score of 3000 for middle schools.
Menchville High placed fourth at the state level and earned a spot in the NASP National Tournament with a score of 3243, exceeding the 3100 minimum qualifying score.
Teams throughout Newport News have been practicing for regional, state and national competitions, under the leadership of their dedicated archery coaches:
- Richneck - Lindsay Sessions
- BC Charles - Beneline Williams
- Yates - Tom Bourgeois
- Newsome Park - Curtis Newton
- Gildersleeve - Steve Cretacci
- Fitzgerald - Susan McAuliffe
- Crittenden - Randi Kidd
- Menchville - Dan Cerny
- Denbigh - Susan McAuliffe
- Woodside - Hannah Wissman