Please note: NNPS Preschool is a state and federally funded program, and all applications will be reviewed based on eligibility criteria and space availability.
To be eligible for the 2022-2023 NNPS Preschool program:
- The child must live in Newport News, VA.
- The child's birthday must be between October 1, 2017 and September 30, 2018.
- The child's family must meet Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) or NNPS Preschool requirements for eligibility; see full list of VPI and NNPS Preschool criteria. (Criterio de Elegibilidad)
- The child must have up-to-date immunizations (or have proof of a medical or religious exemption, set forth by Virginia law).
We highly encourage ALL interested families with a 4-year-old child to apply for NNPS Preschool. We may place your child on a temporary waitlist and will continue to fill preschool slots throughout the spring, summer, and 2022-23 school year based on a variety of criteria, in addition to the listed VPI criteria.
The 2022-23 application is closed. Please check back in February for information regarding the 2023-24 preschool application.
- Income verification – Verification of income (W2, two weeks of pay stubs, child support documentation, 2021 tax documentation, SNAP award) is required from all parents/guardians who have primary custody or contribute to the child's welfare to determine eligibility for NNPS Preschool. Please view NNPS Income Verification details for additional information. (Verificación de Ingresos)
- Certified copy of student's birth certificate
- Proof of legal residency
- Comprehensive physical examination (Preschool–Grade 5)
- Immunization records
- Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Eligibility/Plan (if applicable, current plan)
- Custodial court order (if applicable)
- Foster care plan (if applicable)
While most documents can be delivered to the school upon in-person registration, proof of income must be provided before the application can be reviewed by NNPS.
Additional details can be found on the NNPS Online Pre-Registration Portal page.
Please visit the NNPS Online Pre-Registration Portal to apply (beginning in February).
All applications will be reviewed based on eligibility criteria and program space availability. Parents/Guardians will receive notification within 8-10 weeks after the application and appropriate documentation has been submitted. You will receive one of the following notifications:
- Your child is being invited to participate in the NNPS Preschool program and you will need to visit your child's zoned school to complete the registration process, OR
- Your child has been put on our waitlist and you will be contacted if/when space becomes available at your child's zoned preschool.
Children are assigned to a school based on the home address of the child's parent/guardian. Please use our Bus Stop Query and Zonefinder to find your child's school.
NNPS Preschool Centers
NNPS Preschool is a full-day program. Every preschool class is taught by a certified teacher, supported by a full-day instructional assistant, and does not exceed 20 students. The NNPS Preschool program operates under the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI). Each NNPS Preschool classroom utilizes the Creative Curriculum in alignment with the VDOE Early Learning and Development Standards (ELDS). All NNPS Preschool students receive a division-issued iPad for at-home and in-school use as part of our blended learning model.
Hampton Roads Community Action Program (HRCAP) offers Head Start and Early Head Start, programs for children up to age four that provide comprehensive services to children and families including health, education, nutrition, family services, mental health, disabilities, parent involvement, community-family partnerships and transportation for children in specific areas. The Early Head Start program also provides specialized services to at-risk infants and toddlers (6 weeks to 3 years) of teens and women who reside in southeast Newport News. Visit the HRCAP/Head Start website for additional information. Head Start is not affiliated with Newport News Public Schools.
Please call the NNPS Preschool Office: 757-283-7850 ext. 10247.