Provisional Licensure

The VDOE issues a provisional license only upon hire in a contracted teaching position. Provisional licensure is a post-employment process that begins after an HR coordinator offers a teacher contract. (Please note the VDOE issues licenses effective July 1 of the school year you apply for the license; therefore, consideration should be made when applying for initial licensure mid-year.)

A bachelor's degree in any of the following areas equals eligibility for a provisional teaching license:

  • Agricultural Education
  • American Sign Language
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Dance Arts
  • Earth Science
  • Engineering
  • English
  • Foreign Language (French, Spanish, German, etc.)
  • Health and Physical Education
  • History (Middle School only)
  • Mathematics
  • Physics
  • Technology Education
  • Theater Arts
  • Visual Arts

If you do not have at least a bachelor's degree in one of these areas or a degree in education but believe you may be eligible for licensure based upon coursework completed in college, please review the Endorsement Requirements from Parts IV, V, and VI in the Virginia Administrative Code.

Disclaimer: The Virginia Department of Education Licensure Regulations changes periodically. The worksheets should only be used as a guide and are subject to change without notice. Use caution and regularly inform yourself of all proposed or upcoming licensure changes.

Interested in Teaching Special Education?

Did you know that with a bachelor's or master's degree and successful completion of the course that covers the legal aspects and characteristics of special education, you may be eligible for a provisional license in special education?

Alternative Routes to Licensure

Click here to view the VDOE alternative routes to licensure